Digital Fax status is undefined/stopped and won't start - Windows fax service crash with faulting module FXSTIFF.dll
Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 and Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2012 R2
- Digital Fax is in the undefined or stopped status.
Trying to start the service from WEB interface or rebooting the machine does not fix the problem.
- Windows event registry reports an error (Application folder) like the following one:
The Fax Service encountered a problem and needed to close. Error Code: 0x00000000 This error code indicates the cause of the error. A Windows Error Report was generated with full details about the problem. The Fax service will restart now. Faulting application name: fxssvc.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7b339 Faulting module name: FXSTIFF.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7c672 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x000000000005c462 Faulting process id: 0x16c0 Faulting application start time: 0x01d105096a32fab8ù Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\FXSTIFF.dll Report Id: b4792b9c-70fc-11e5-a270-782bcb1ef55a
- The Windows fax service crashes immediately, once started
The problem is due to a bug of Windows Fax Service and PaperSize Configuration
- Run "regedit" in Digital Fax server and move to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\StoneFax\PrinterDriverData
- Take note of the configured number in the PaperSize field
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\StoneFax\DsDriver
- Open "printMediaSupported" field and count from the first one to the "PaperSizeNumber" line
- It has to be "A4" format.
If it is different, you have to change "PaperSizeNumber" field to point to "A4" accordingly.
Then follow this procedure:
- Stop Digital Fax from WEB interface (if not already stopped)
- Rename the Windows fax service queue folder into a different name (for instance \_Queue )
- This folder is normally located in:
Windows 2008 & 2012: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Queue
Windows 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Queue
Re-create the \Queue folder (empty) in the same position
Start Digital Fax from Web interface
This article was:
Thank you for your feedback!
|How to modify mail notification templates for admin and users in...||How to change resolution and rendering method of faxes|